Disabled parking

Legislation changes - 30 August

Slough Borough Council has received the local authority guidance regarding hidden disabilities and is reviewing this in anticipation of the legislation changes coming into effect on 30 August.

There will be no changes in application processes until this date. Applicants who would like to apply under this new criteria will need to wait until this change comes into effect. More details on the changes can be found at gov.uk.

What is a blue badge?

Blue badge permits provide parking concessions if you have severe mobility problems and have difficulty using public transport. Blue badge holders can either be the driver or the passenger of a vehicle they are travelling in.

Who can have a blue badge?

Mandatory blue badge

You qualify for a mandatory blue badge without any assessment if you are over two years old and you:

  • are registered as blind
  • receive a higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
  • receive 8 points or more under the 'moving around' activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payments
  • receive a War Pension Mobility Supplement.

Discretionary blue badge

You will need to complete a self assessment (which is part of the blue badge application form) to prove you are eligible for a discretionary blue badge if you are:

  • over two years of age and have permanent and substantial disability which means you cannot walk, or makes walking very difficult
  • drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to or would find it difficult to operate all or some types of parking meter
  • apply on behalf of a child under the age of two who has a medical condition that requires bulky medical equipment or immediate access to a vehicle for treatment.

How to apply

You can apply for a blue badge by completing the following form:

This form is for a new, renewal or lost/stolen application for a disabled persons parking badge.

Apply for or renew your Blue Badge

Proof of entitlement

If you are applying for a mandatory badge, please supply a copy of any of the following with the application form, which must be dated within the last 12 months.

  • Your Disability Living Allowance (DLA) Benefit Award letter confirming entitlement to higher rate mobility component.
  • Your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Benefit Award letter confirming you receive 8 points or more under the 'moving around' activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment
  • War Pension confirming mobility component.
  • Blind registration card.

Proof of identity and address required for both types of badges

When submitting an application form for Mandatory and Discretionary, please supply a copy of one item from the following list, dated within the last 12 months:

  • utility bill, rent or pension book
  • bank statement
  • valid driving licence (card or paper version)
  • DWP or DLA benefit
  • Tax credit award or Inland Revenue letter.

In addition, you will need to bring a copy of one item from the following list, as proof of identity:

  • marriage, birth or adoption certificate (must be full certificate with parent’s details)
  • valid driving licence (card or paper version)
  • valid passport
  • national identity card
  • NHS medical card.

You will also need to bring

  • one passport sized photograph.

Notes on photographs

  • Please supply a recent, clear and front facing picture of the applicant's full face.
  • It is not acceptable to wear a hat or scarf. In the case of religious preferences, the scarf should not hide your face.
  • If you are wearing dark lenses, we may require you to provide a new picture without glasses, unless you are registered blind.
  • Write your name clearly on the back of the photograph.

Requirements for under 16s

In addition to the above being provided for the parent/guardian, we will also need the child's DLA award letter showing their entitlement, if you are applying for a discretionary badge. If the blue badge is being issued, the child's full birth or adoption certificate must be provided.

Rights and responsibilities

The Department for Transport has developed a useful guide for blue badge holders. It explains your responsibilities as a badge holder as well as how to display the badge and when you need to use a parking clock. Visit the Department for Transport website to find out more.

Blue badge charge

Please be advised that from 7 October 2013, there will be a charge for all approved blue badge applications (this includes lost, stolen or damaged blue badges). This £10 charge is payable upon collection of your new blue badge.


You will be sent a notification letter to advise you when your badge is ready for collection.

Collection days are every Tuesday/Wednesday & Thursday from 2pm to 4.30pm

  • If a third party is collecting the blue badge on your behalf, then we will need:
  • a letter of authority from the applicant giving the 3rd party permission to collect the badge
  • the third party's ID – passport or driving licence.

If you need further assistance, contact us on 01753 475111, Monday to Friday 9am to 7pm.